Monday, July 03, 2006

Remember ribbon barrettes??


I figured everything else from the 80's has returned, and I have this adorable blond pink-loving, hair accessory-loving (sometimes) kid, so why not make some of those ribbon barrettes we were all obsessed with circa, oh, 1983?

My hair was thin and never looked all that great in the barrettes, but I had a bunch anyway. They were always in that shiny satin or grosgrain ribbon in contrasting colors...

Directions online? But of course! I heart the Internets.

From left to right: traditional, preppy, and experimental (tried some tape yarn along with the ribbon.)

Close-up of preppy style--this is 1/4" ribbon instead of the thinner stuff. If you only use one color you only need one yard-length of ribbon but you'll wind up with two tails instead of four.

On the "experimental" one, that is also thicker ribbon, and that tape yarn was a bear to weave. I need a better method. I recall that in the 80's the process was quite refined. I'll have to think about this and make it easier.

Some notes if you try this: Each of the matching pair of barrettes should have the streamers going in opposite directions. Also, I do recommend the thinner ribbon--it was so much easier! Had trouble finding it at the store though.

Good luck! These are fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home